I have been slowly talking to more and more people around me about BRCA and my choices. What really upsets me is that this is not a diagnosis of cancer but a pre-diagnosis, and they just don't get it. I spoke to an Aunt who pretty much told me that I am out of my mind to get my ovaries out and I should wait till there is a problem. She even told me that there are signs of OC (ovarian cancer) and there is no reson why i can't be detected early. Because of her statement I have concluded that she has no idea what she is talking about, even if she does know every GREAT doctor at Sloan Kettering. She is a moron and even though I know this, it still bothers me that people don't trust my choices.
My own father was with my husband a few days ago without me around. This was maybe a day or two after I finalized all the OOPH surgery details. He asks Ryan if he thinks I am just jumping into this and ill be set in my ways and there wont be any way to change my mind. WHAT? anyways, my good ole hubby was good enough to tell him that I have been to or spoken to about 5 doctors about this and this is the best choice, even according to the doctors.
Do the people around me really think I am that dumb? To go through any kind of surgery because I am impulsive? I am educated and I have done my research on the OOPH. I know what I want and I know for sure I don't want to live with 2 ticking time bombs in my body. Going ahead with this surgery will give me time to decide what to do with the next one. I am not jumping into a 10 hour surgery, chopping my breasts off and putting myself out for many weeks/months because I am being impulsive about the whole thing. I will try to plan it, make sure its the right decision FOR ME, discuss it with people I trust and doctors I trust. I will know everything about from a 360 degree view before I choose to do anything.
I keep finding people who think they know the right thing to say and I can tell their words are not even supportive. That hurts. If I had diabetes and started to use insulin, would I be judged as much? This is a diagnosis that needs to be researched and decisions need to be made for what is right for the person who has the diagnosis. I have thought long and hard and i KNOW in my heart, gut and brain that this is the right choice. What i would hate is someone trying so hard to stop me and start making me doubt myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment